302 West House Street
Alvin, Texas 77511
Fire Department History
1893 The City of Alvin is incorporated with a population of 1027.
1898 First fire department formed, assembling troops for the Spanish American War. The only fire fighting was done with buckets and barrels at the Railroad Depot.
1900 The Great Storm wiped out most of Alvin. Two years later at 3:00 a.m., a store in the center of the business district caught fire and burned 32 businesses at a loss of $60,000.00. Shortly thereafter, the City businesses were rebuilt and they purchased a hose reel, but no Fire Department was organized.
1904 Following the Great Storm and Big Fire, a bell and wooden tower were erected and served as a fire alarm for the town folks. At the time, the town folks were their own bucket brigade.
1910 Opti Moulton is elected Fire Chief and the City officials and business merchants financed the first fire engine built by members of the fire department. It was made out of buggy wheels. A blacksmith built an axle and moutned a 30 gallon soda acid chemical tank on it.
1912 First fire mains are put into the streets.
1926 The first motorized equipment is received by the 20 or so volunteer firefighters.
1930 Theordore (Do-Do) Baxter becomes Chief with A.J. Smith becoming Chief the next year.
1930's Was rough for the Fire Department due to the Great Depression. The Fire Department was mostly disband.
1935 This year brings a new Fire Chief, Sam Eernisse. He injects new life and builds morals, which is very low. Mr. Eernisse remained Chief until his illness.
1936 The City orders a new 1937 Boyer 500 GPM Pumper and takes the retired 1926 Chemical Fire Engine and turns it into a garbage truck.
1947 Brazoria County gives the fire department a new fire truck to protect the rural area around Alvin. That same year, R.E. Ripley was elected as Assistant Chief and serves as Acting Chief for the sick and bed ridden Sam Eernisse.
1958 Wesley Eernisse, son of Sam Eernisse becomes Chief. That year, the department purchased a tank truck, an equipment truck, and the first bunker gear.
1960 The Fire Department celebrates its first banquet.
1975 Bob McNeely is elected Chief and purchases a new first line 1000 GPM Pumper.
1979 The second son of Sam Eernisse, Donald, became Chief. He adds a second fire station, remodels Station #1, purchases a rescue truck, three 1250 GPM pumpers, and one ladder truck.
1988 The Fire Department starts to develop its' own Fire Training Facility.
1996 The membership is at 65 with one at forty-eight years of service. Donald Eernisse retires after 48 years of service and Rex Klesel is elected Fire Chief.
1997 The Alvin Volunteer Fire Department received its Incorporation Status.
1998 The County purchases a 1000 GPM pumper for the fire department.
1999 20th Anniversary of Share-A-Toy Program. Parking lot was added across the street from Station #1.
2004 Voters passed formation of Emergency Service District #3 on unincorporated areas around Alvin to provide funding for Fire & E.M.S. service. The Fire Department receives a grant of over $100,000 to replace their 30 year old Self Contained Breathing Apparatus with new ones that are half the weight of the old ones.
2005 Full-Time Administrator is added to department and Fire Marshals office is moved from Police Department under direction of the Administrator.
2006 The Department purchased a 3,000 Gal. tanker/pumper to replace the 1978 tanker that was purchased used, from a local chemical plant. This replaced tanker was then donated to the Elmwood Fire Department.
2007 Rex Klesel is elected as 4th Vice President of the State Fireman's and Fire Marshals Association. Station #3 is built and opened at a cost of $1.2 million dollars.
2008 Purchased two Crimson Pumpers
2009 Sold two old E-1 pumpers to Galveston County devastated by Hurricane Ike. Received new ISO Rating of 2 in the City and 8-B in the County. Received third Crimson Pumper. Installed computers on all vehicles to be able to communicate with the Police Department and EMS.
2010 Celebrated 50th Annual Awards Banquet.
2011 Rex W. Klesel was installed as State Fireman Fire Marshals' Association President. Martin Vela left the City of Alvin as Fire Marshal and took the position of the Brazoria County Fire Marshal. Alvin Fire Department received a 4 year SAFER (Staffing for Adequate Fire Emergency Response) Grant for $292,000 for Firefighter recruitment and retention.
2012 Olan Dyson retired from the City of Alvin after 43 years of dedicated service. He will continue to be a volunteer firefighter for the Fire Department. Kevin Rodgers was hired as the Fire Marshal for the City of Alvin. Jim Cargile was hired by the City of Alvin as Firefighter/Maintenance.