Any residential property that is rented out on a short-term basis - for a period of fewer than 30 days is considered a short-term rental. Short-term rentals include homes that are listed for rent on sites such as Airbnb, VRBO Vacation Rentals, HomeAway, etc.
At the November 3, 2022 City Council meeting, City Council approved an ordinance (Ord 22-XX) establishing requirements and regulations for the operation of properties as Short-Term Rentals (STR) in the City of Alvin. Through the establishment of this ordinance a permit will be required for a residential property to operate as a STR within the city limits.
The City has contracted with GovOS, a third-party vendor, to help set up the online application and permitting process and identify all active STR's within the City. In the coming months, those owning and operating a STR will be contacted to submit an application for a permit.
Each application for a Permit shall be accompanied by a non-refundable permit application fee of $75 and shall include the following information:
- Proof of home ownership with the name, address, phone number and email address of the property owner(s) of the Short-Term Rental property;
- Name, address, email address and 24-hour phone number of an emergency contact person who is the owner, operator or designated Agent who shall be responsible and authorized to respond to complaints concerning the Short-Term Rental within one hour or less;
- The number of bedrooms to be used for Short-Term Rental Occupancy which shall be verified during the Initial Inspection;
- Name, address, email address, and telephone number of the Short¬-Term Rental property owner, operator, agent, and mortgage;
- Acknowledgement of whether the premises was operated as a Short-Term Rental during the twelve (12)-months prior to the date of the permit application and whether the City's Hotel Occupancy Tax, for the previous twelve (12) month period, was paid to the City;
- Acknowledgement of receipt of a copy of this Article and the Owner's agreement to comply with all provisions of this Article as a condition to issuance of a permit.
The permit will expire one year after date of issuance, except that if a Permit holder commits no more than one substantiated violation during the Permit period, the Permit shall automatically be extended for one additional year. No permit shall extend beyond a two year term. Permits can be revoked or denied by the Director for reasons set forth in the STR Ordinance (Ord 22-XX (PDF)).
The Permit will contain the following information:
- Owner, operator, or designated agent's name and (24) hour contact telephone number
- Location of the fire extinguisher(s)
- Maximum permitted occupancy
- Description of the required off-street parking requirements
- Written prohibition against the use of the property as a party/entertainment venue; or any commercial/non-residential use.
An inspection will be required prior to the occupancy of a STR by guests. The applicant will be responsible for the $100 inspection fee and will be required to schedule an initial inspection of the residential structure with the Fire Marshal's Office to determine compliance with the following minimum occupancy standards:
- Number of bedrooms
- Working smoke detector (110v interconnected w/ battery backup) installed in bedrooms
- Working smoke detector (110v interconnected w/ battery backup) installed in hallways
- Bedrooms have (2) means of escape
- Working CO detectors
The following is a list of Requirements established by Ordinance 22-XX (PDF):
- No external on-site or off-site advertising signs or displays indicating a property as a STR
- Occupancy Limit - No more than 2 adult guests per bedroom, no more than 2 additional adults allowed in a STR, except that there shall be a maximum occupancy of 10 persons, including adults and children.
- Owner shall provide off-street parking on the premises of the STR ensuring that the renter understands that guests that park in the public right-of-way shall do so legally and in a manner that preserves the ingress/egress of adjacent and neighboring properties.
- STR's shall not be used for the purpose of a party venue or any commercial/non-residential use
- STR rental listings shall state that rentals are not to be used as party venues
- Rentals of STR's shall not be less than a 24-hour period.
- It shall be unlawful to rent structures, tents, hammocks, recreational/camper vehicles or other vehicles and outdoor areas, such as swimming pools or yard spaces that are NOT residential dwellings as a STR
- Permits are not transferrable
- Permit holder shall ensure that contact information for the STR always remains up to date.
- Permit holder shall ensure that a copy of the City issued permit is posted at a visible location inside the primary entrance to the dwelling. The Permit shall contain information as listed above.
- Agent should be able to reach the renter within one hour of contact by the City to address any complaints made.
- Permit / Application: $75
- Inspection: $100